HOW ONE WORD CAN CHANGE YOUR LIFE
A new approach to positive change
- Change and improvement are your goals in life
- Complexity/overwhelm often stand in the way of success
- Complex goals, resolutions, and mission statements
- Here’s a new approach – using one word to trigger change and positive results
What is One Word?
- It’s literally one word – not a phrase, statement, or affirmation – just one word
- It’s a word that you will use as a guide to frame all the events, activities, and decisions you make all year
There’s beauty in simplicity
- Remembering paragraphs/sentences (like goals and resolutions) is difficult, and often leads to little progress
- Remembering, practicing, and living one word is actionable
- One word helps you focus your time, energy, and resources with a single purpose – to improve your life using a mindset that matters to you!
How it will impact you
- One word changes you at your core – your heart – where your desires, beliefs, and values live
- Your one word alters:
- What you talk about
- How you think/your perspective
- What you see/notice – your RAS
- Your motivations for doing things
- How you interact with others
- Lots of small, positive changes like this lead to one new YOU!
How to use this:
- Come up with a word – Spend time (2M- hours max) picking a word that ‘feels’ right, but don’t overthink it
- Ideas: Fearless, Authentic, Focus, Gratitude, Clarity, Balance, Faith, Patience, Generosity, Complete, Move, Organize, Expansive, Health, Enjoy. Mindful, Consistent, Adventure, Sacrifice, Simplify, Courage, Commit, Trust, Growth, Curious, Optimism, Freedom, Happy
- Below the word itself, write a short definition of what that word means to you – how you want it to influence you:
- Grow – Today, I am more awesome than yesterday
- Act – Always be shipping!
- Positive – Always think +’s
- Post your word where you can see it regularly, (use Post- It Notes) – Keep it at the top of your mind so that it influences everything you do
- Review your word daily, say it out loud (with feeling and emotion), think about its meaning, how you recently used it, and scenarios where you will use it
- As you go about your life, be aware of opportunities where you can take action with a mindset based on your one word
- With each new year choose a new word